Pages

Friday, August 5, 2016

How I Journal Every Day

 

Have you ever had a creative block or trouble finishing something?

I have always been a really creative person since I was little. I tend to go through phases of making art and not making art. One day, while I was in college, I was feeling kind of bored with my life. I was going through one of those phases of not making art and hadn't really made a lot of artwork consistently in a few years. I had a thought that I should create art again.

Art journaling is a great method for creating art whether you are a new artist or want to try something new. I like art journaling because it allows you to experiment. You can try out different methods and materials to create and not worry about the outcome. It doesn't matter what you create, write or draw. If you don't like it, you can cover it up and start again. Nobody has to see it but you unless you want to share it. Here are some ways to journal consistently:

Get some supplies.

Sometimes, just having a few materials is enough to get you started. Find a few materials you think you would enjoy. Maybe investing in a nice handmade journal or fancy pen will motivate you to get started. Do what' works for you.

Set a routine for creating. 

If you want to create every day, set a time and place for you to journal. Maybe you have a studio or a space in your bedroom where you like to work. Set a certain time each day to go there and work on your journal. The morning is a great time to create. One method of journaling is to write morning pages where you free write three full pages each morning. Working in the afternoon or at night might work better for you if you find you have more creative energy later in the day.

Set a goal or join a challenge.

Setting goals can help you create the kind of art you want. Maybe you want to finish a journal or art journal day every day for a month. Maybe you will art journal with only one medium for a week, such as watercolor. I find community challenges like Art Journal Every Day can be helpful in motivating you and holding you accountable for your goal. I am doing a blogging challenge now from ProBlogger and I like that it gives me positive pressure to create new blog posts.

You can also try googling art journal ideas or creative writing prompts to use each day. I like to print out prompts, cut them out and put them in a jar. Pull out of the jar each day and use it to inspire for your entry.

Share your accomplishments.

You should celebrate if you finish a goal. Announce on social media what you accomplished. Post photos or scans of journal entries on Flickr or your blog. Show off your favorite journal entries.

How do you like to set and complete goals?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I personally make a gratitude journal for this purpose! Being maximalist and idealist sometimes I want to make too much in one day and not satisfied when it went not as i expected. I wrote about Gratitude Journal on my blog)
Also what realy helps me

Unknown said...

is to put down how many hours i have spent on reaching each of my goals. then in the end of the week i calculate and make a plan for the next.

www.aerianecohen.com

Copyright © My Thread of Thought. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template by The October Studio