Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Record Store Day

Happy Record Store Day! Record Store Day is a day to celebrate the culture of record stores and music. There's a bunch of special vinyl and CD releases from bands just for this day. You can find out more on their website. Personally, I never grew up during the era of records and I only own one (because it's autographed), but I think the idea is nice and I like that people are still trying to support record stores. My first treasury I made on etsy was actually called "Vinyl Love" and themed around records. I thought it was a great theme and found a lot of nice items. Here's a screen capture of it:

I also have this set of vinyl records from the 1920s up in my shop. They are thicker and smaller than the kind of records most people have. I originally put it up on ebay, but when it didn't sell, I put them on here. I thought somebody might find them useful to collect or make a craft out of them (such as record bowls). It's actually going to expire pretty soon and I think I'll just let it expire if it doesn't sell:



If you want to do something crafty to celebrate Record Store Day, record bowls are really easy to make. You can keep little things in them or even put a plant in them.

1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2) Place an oven safe bowl upside down on a cookie sheet. Place the record on top of the bowl.
3) Leave it in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
4) Take it out of the oven. Turn the bowl right side up and put the record (which is now soft) inside of the bowl. It should make a funky shape and you can mold it how you want.

Let me know if you make one. :)

2 comments:

Kim Caro said...

wowza thats awesome and simple!

Kit said...

I'm so gonna try this. I've got tons of old vinyl that I don't know what to do with since I don't own a record player. Like any good crafter, I throw nothing away :)

Copyright © My Thread of Thought. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template by The October Studio