Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Art Journaling: Creating Abstract Images











Have you ever wanted to create abstract, fantasy or surreal images in your artwork? Here are some tips for unleashing your unconscious mind and creating creative works of art. 

Supplies:


  • Art Journal: You can use an art journal or sketch paper. 
  • Pencil or Marker: You can use professional art marker or just sharpies.
  • Other Art Materials: You can use whatever medium you like to create abstract images. My art journal entries are mostly sketches, but you can add color such as with colored pencils or watercolor paint.


Techniques:


1. Abstract images can be fantasy like or as if they were from a dreaming. Try closing your eyes or meditating and visualize images. When you open your eyes, draw images you saw. You can also try keeping your art journal by your bed and drawing images from your dreams. 

 

 2. Take a physical object or image and draw half of it on one side of an art journal page. You can also draw the whole image and then erase, rip out or cover up the other half. On the other half, draw a fantasy image or half of another object to create a fantasy image. In my picture, I drew an image of a flower on the right side and added an image of fire on the left page.




 3.  A similar idea you can try is taking physical object or image and adding a fantasy image to it. Look to see how real life images can be turned fantasy like by replacing one part of the image with a different image. In my top journal entry, I made the body of the butterflies in to keys. I also added a keyhole to the tree. In my second image, I turned birds in to scissors. 
 

 4. Try writing a line of text and drawing the phrase you wrote. In this image, I wrote the line “harvesting the heart” and added hearts to a bowl. 

Do you like to create abstract or fantasy images? 

No comments:

Copyright © My Thread of Thought. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template by The October Studio