Pages

Friday, July 29, 2016

Shop Interview: Colleen from French Knot


 
French Knot is a shop on Etsy that sells handmade wedding dresses and bridal designs. The shop is run by Colleen with her sister Dorothy. They make high quality wedding dresses to brides who want something a little different.

Why did you choose to sell handmade wedding dresses in your shop? 

I've been sewing for many years, and when I learned about Etsy as an online marketplace for handmade items I decided it was the perfect place to sell my dresses.

What is your favorite feature on Etsy? Do you use any other websites?

I considered selling on other sites, but I have found Etsy to be user friendly to the shopper as well as for the seller. I think the selling format is really well organized. You can analyze your sales and listings really quickly and easily keep in touch with customers.

How would you describe your style?

My brand is based on classic vintage styles, occasionally with unique fabrics or finishes that set them apart from the commercially available dresses.

What is your creative process like? 

For me the best time to start designing is in the morning - with plenty of coffee and some good music. Once I have a silhouette in mind I start researching fabrics. That usually leads to more dress ideas, but I try not to get carried away.

Describe your studio space. Where do you work?

My studio is a nice private spot in my home. I am set up with plenty of space for sewing, storing supplies, as well as a dressing room and mirror for brides that come to try on dresses. I've considered moving to a commercial space, but I love working in my slippers and bathrobe, and the commute is really short.

Where do you get your models for your shop product photography?

Over the last few years I've been meeting and working with some local wedding pros, and we have gotten to know some great models - mostly by word of mouth. We do quite a few inspired bridal shoots, and I continue to meet new models that way.

 

Where do you get inspiration?

The inspiration for new designs is occasionally from pictures or designs I see online and in books, but mostly when I start looking at fabric the ideas really flooding in. All I need to say to myself is, "what could I do with this fabric?", and immediately I come up with some slightly-crazy ideas. Rule of thumb: edit, edit, edit.

What is your favorite way to promote your shop?

Promoting my shop on Etsy is pretty straight forward, but out in the real world it's a little harder. I've spent the last few years networking with local wedding professionals on photo shoots, and I find that they help bring my designs to life. Styled shoots are a great way to be published on blogs and circulate on social media. 

Do you sell wholesale or consignment?

At this time I am not selling wholesale. Since my shop is such a small operation I prefer to work with my customers directly.

What do you hope for the future with your shop? 

My ultimate goal with my shop is to provide a creative alternative to the commercially available dresses - and make a living at it. So far I feel like I'm on the right track. Etsy has facilitated a way for me to reach a huge audience, and I'm really happy here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely wedding dresses. Nice feature.

VintageBeckyM said...

Fabulous designer and very interesting interview. Her dresses are so beautiful. Thank You for sharing.

Copyright © My Thread of Thought. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template by The October Studio