Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Oversized Travel Journal Project

I talked about my Junior Seminar art project/show in my last entry. Here are photos of my project. I made a large oversized journal with places I want to travel to inside. Each painting has the official national animal of each country I want to travel to. The paintings are acrylic medium, but also used mixed media such as vintage maps, string, bubble wrap and fabric.

The covers of the journal form a full map of the world when opened up. The land parts are collaged with maps from various places.

newphotos 208

newphotos 213

I actually didn't originally plan to make a journal, but I ended up binding all my paintings together. I ended up doing a simple cross stitch with white string. It wasn't too hard to bind it, but it took a while because of how big it is.

newphotos 216

newphotos 167

The front side of the pages is a painting of an animal in a landscape. The back side has collaged maps and other things of the place each page represents. Here's the first page, a white tailed deer from Costa Rica:

newphotos 173

Picture 035

And the back:

newphotos 176

This is a fox from London. I used a watch as the nose of the fox to represent the famous clock in London and the fast paced life of people who live there:

newphotos 174

newphotos 030

newphotos 036

This is a panda bear from China:

newphotos 178

newphotos 182

This is the first one I did, a swan from Denmark:

Swan (Denmark)

This picture I took in the process, so the newspaper wasn't painted over yet:

newphotos 063

newphotos 187

These are elephants from Thailand:

newphotos 185

newphotos 065

newphotos 201

This is a peacock from India:

newphotos 189

Peacock (India)

India (Back)

The next one is a polar bear from Greenland:

Polar Bear (Greenland)

newphotos 044

newphotos 196

This is a leopard from Somalia, Africa:

Leopard (Somalia)

And lastly, I have dolphins from Greece:

newphotos 192

Sorry I don't have photos of the backs of all the paintings. Let me know what you think of my project. Hopefully, I'll get to travel to these places one day!

No comments:

Copyright © My Thread of Thought. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template by The October Studio