Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Gingerbread City

I'm entering a craft challenge for a gingerbread house on Craftster.org. It's not related to paper crafts, but I just wanted to do it for fun. I did one challenge on Craftster.org before where I made a set of playing cards. You can see them here. I ended up selling them later on Etsy for $40!

I wanted to do something creative so I decided to do a city instead of the traditional Gingerbread house. It's based on the Chicago skyline because I'm from Chicago, but it can be any city. The blue part is the lake. Everything is edible.

I started with gingerbread dough and cut it to different shapes that made up the sides of the building. I tried to make real buildings in Chicago, but it was hard to get them right. The building on the left is based on the Sears Tower/Willis Tower (even though in real life, it's taller than the other buildings).

Gingerbread City

I dyed white frosting a yellow/orange color and used it to make dots that represent city lights. I had to do each side of the building which made it hard to get everything accurate.

Gingerbread City

I made white frosting and dyed it blue to make the lake. I used white frosting to glue everything together.

I used coconut flakes to represent snow on the ground near the buildings.

Gingerbread City

I'll post again when the poll is up and you can vote. If the pictures get cut off on my blog, you can see my entry post here.

2 comments:

Piggy said...

Great process & photos! I wish I can cook.. Love gingerbread and great idea to make it into a city. Although, I am not really keen on the blue.. never love my food blue :)

Cheers
Alice
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Piggy
http://twitter.com/piggylittleshop
http://piggylittleshop.blogspot.com/

Lo Christine said...

What a great idea, definitely something different. And that set of playing cards is awesome:)

Copyright © My Thread of Thought. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template by The October Studio